frequently asked questions

What is the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan?
The AHCIP provides eligible residents of Alberta & their dependants with coverage for insured services provided by physicians in Alberta & other provinces.
Who is eligible for AHCIP?
All permanent residents of Alberta are eligible.
Does AHCIP cover out of province/country claims?
Alberta Health & Wellness covers only limited physician and hospital costs outside of Canada. It is recommended that Albertans obtain travel insurance when outside the province or Country, as costs for services can be much higher than in Alberta.
How do I submit an out of province claim?
To submit a claim for insured health services received outside of Alberta or Canada, complete an Out of Province Physician/Practitioner Services and Out of Country Health Services form and submit it along with itemized statements and proof of payment. Claims must be submitted within 365 days from the date of service.
I need to take an extended absence from Alberta, am I still covered?
Albertans must be present in Alberta for 183 days in a 12 month period to remain eligible for coverage.